[Osmf-talk] OSMF and Evangelism

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Jul 31 20:49:24 UTC 2009

On 31 Jul 2009, at 21:05, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> El día Friday 31 July 2009 20:59:07, Peter Miller dijo:
>> Personally I see no reason for the foundation to ask for £10 per
>> member of
>> the local chapter because I think that would kill it in many
>> countries where
>> it is most needed.
>
> I took some notes in the SotM unofficial chapters meeting. Highlights
> are "joint membership vs. optional separate membership",
> "representation vs.
> support" and "customised agreements".
>
> I don't think that a "one-size-fits-all" federation agreement will
> work... so
> I hope this will be discussed at the OSMF meetings.

Personally I hope it is not discussed at the OSMF meeting but that it
is discussed by the local chapters working group and that they come up
with a good solution in discussion with the community and then report
to the board with their recommendation. It is really important that
these decisions don't all bubble up to the foundation board meetings
or everything will stop.

I do suggest that the brief for the working group should be to 'set up
a structure to promote OSM around the world' or something like that,
rather than a solution based group of 'we want local groups all
signing up to the same agreement and how are we going to achieve it'.

Could you make the notes you took available somewhere (not here).
Possibly a sub-page of the Local chapters wiki page would be a good
place.

Are there any minutes available from the working group's deliberations
or is the discussion on talk somewhere?

Btw, the link from various messages on talk to a post on blacksworld
seems to be broken (http://www.blacksworld.net/blog/2008/12/11/osm-f-update-local-chapters-are-coming/
)

Regards,

Peter