[Osmf-talk] License Working Group - license change proposal status

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Nov 27 15:48:32 UTC 2009

Here is an update now I am back from the flu and other affairs. Apologies to Frederik, Floris and others for not responding directly before.  I hope that the publishing of the formal proposal has helped answer some earlier questions.  A reminder that you can read it at <http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/3/3c/License_Proposal.pdf>http<http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/3/3c/License_Proposal.pdf>://www.osmfoundation.org/images/3/3c/License_Proposal.<http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/3/3c/License_Proposal.pdf>pdf and that we welcome any comments from you.

So far, the main feedback that we've got so far is that the license change implementation process was unclear. This is what we are working on right now.  The OSMF board has given us permission to go ahead with the formal OSMF member's vote once we have cleared this up; specifically, to work on what will be presented to OSM contributors assuming that you vote yes to the license change. You can see a snapshot here: <http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd9g3qjp_28dgkdmhhq>http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd9g3qjp_28dgkdmhhq (sorry, it is not on the Foundation wiki yet!). We continue to refine it and welcome comments. We are also working on a Backup Policy, i.e. precisely what will happen to data of contributors who refuse to accept the new license. We will put that out for your review very shortly or you can read our early analysis in our meeting minutes [1].

Then there is the vote itself. Floris asked:
> I'm guessing this is not 'the question' about what to do with my data.
> I think it is not immediately clear what this vote is for.

The License Working Group, with the approval of the OpenStreetMap Foundation board of directors, will be shortly asking the full membership of the Foundation whether or not to upgrade the license under which OpenStreetMap geodata is released from Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 2.0 to the Open Database License 1.0, an attribution, share-alike license specifically designed for databases. The license change also includes a new formal set of contributor terms. This is the key Go/No Go for the new license.

Assuming that you vote yes, there will begin a process of requesting OSM contributors who have already made contributions to consent to re-licensing them under the new license. We currently aim to complete that process 26th February 2010, after which the newer version of the database will only be available under ODbL 1.0. Older versions of the database will continue to be available under CC BY SA.

Regards,
Mike Collinson
License Working Group

[1] <http://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/View?id=dc95mxps_5fg6mx3d5>http://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/View?id=dc95mxps_5fg6mx3d5 LWG Minutes 13th Nov, see item 6