[Osmf-talk] Enough is enough: disinfecting OSM from poisonous people

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Tue Aug 10 19:20:22 BST 2010

On 10/08/10 17:19, SteveC wrote:
> I know this first hand. Many (if not most or all) of the key people
> in OSM are feeling drained, distracted and upset. Some are talking of
> hiatus or resign. These are the key people who write code, build
> things, maintain things and run our working groups.

This seems to me to be the key data point. If those running the project
want to stop running it, then usually something has to be done about
whatever is making them feel like that.

> Thus we need some kind of process for calling timeout on people in
> the project, blocking them for a limited time. This could range from
> electing individual mailing list admins with a remit of when to shut
> down discussions (much like an IRC chat admin(s)), to more clear and
> actioned policies on list etiquette (like forcibly keeping legal
> discussion to the legal list), to an ejection committee to me just
> appointing myself benevolent dictator and blocking people for a
> limited time out cooling off period based on advice from the
> community (a worst case option I'd like to avoid).

I'm not sure Benevolent Dictator is a worst-case option, but as you are
the only candidate, if you don't want to do it, then we'll need to think
of something else.

> I'm posting this to three places on purpose with different audiences:
> opengeodata, osmf-talk@ and talk at .

Are you expecting replies to be copied to all three, or would you like
to try and keep discussion to one list, for simplicity?

> What are your ideas? How should we block people? For how long? What
> process should it be? What are the best practices from other projects
> you're involved in?

In the Mozilla project, we are fortunate enough to not have this problem
too much. Most distractions are people not knowing rather than people
being actively poisonous. We have the ability to ban from IRC, and from
Bugzilla - which is occasionally used on people who can't keep their
cool. This power is in the hands of a number of people, who exercise it
unilaterally. I've never heard of it being used on a long-time community
member, though.

Gerv