[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Enough is enough: disinfecting OSM from poisonous people

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 18:44:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:22:22AM -0700, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> > What are your ideas? How should we block people? For how long? What process
> > should it be? What are the best practices from other projects you're
> > involved in?

> agree 99% with all of this posting and the only part is this. osm has open
> in the name and there is no need to block people.

“open” does not mean there aren’t any things to discourage, prevent, and
event take action against.  Take copyright and database right violations
for example: If people are not adhering to the licences and being
unreasonable about it, OSM should be able to exercise its own rights.

Blocking is very much a last resort, and I imagine that should it happen
it will be rarely.  To avoid any blocking, encourage people to be
friendly on the lists, keep on topic, and if somebody is being rude,
abusive, offensive, trolly, or even just showing their irritation, think
twice before replying and fueling the fire.

> Everyone capable of subscribing knows also how to filter certain names.

I don’t believe that, and it’s certainly easier in some clients than
others.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall