[Osmf-talk] The license/fork discussion: A solution proposal

Julio Costa agerio at yahoo.es
Tue Aug 24 12:50:42 UTC 2010

Gert,

The first problem that comes to my mind is that every node/way may
(and probably will) be edited multiple times by users with different
license choices. How will we solve this? The first contributors choice
rules the rest of the node/ways life? Will we implement a way to
export the whole DB with the last version (in the license of your
choice) of every node/way? (that probably will violate the previous
editions of that node/way done under the other license. This under the
supposition that the first contributors choice doesn't rules the
node/way life).

My point is that this kind of idea, even though well intended, seems
impracticable.

Even though I am not very happy with CT3, I do understand that the
license must be one. And that if someone is truly uncomfortable with
the ODbL will eventually have to fork (this under the assumption that
most of the contributors accept the new license and CT).

Regards,

Julio Costa
OpenStreetMap Chile
http://www.openstreetmap.cl/