[Osmf-talk] The license/fork discussion: A solution proposal

ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen g.gremmen at cetest.nl
Tue Aug 24 14:12:36 UTC 2010

> The first problem that comes to my mind is that every node/way may
> (and probably will) be edited multiple times by users with different
> license choices.

that is not a problem for the community but for
those who want to make a business with our data: "others".
They will get an extract, more or less complete, conforming to their choice of
license to accept.

It don't stop the community from continuing to create
a better map.

The history problem happens also when all contributors that are not happy
with the new ODBL license will withdraw their data.
That is bound to happen soon, once the OSMF imposes
the ODbL license change on the community (that's how it feels).

The only way to keep all on-board is to make the license
part of the system.

My solution is not a final solution, it makes it possible to
continue OSM and see which license survives.

By creating multiple maps based on license restrictions,
we can create a live impression of what will happen
if we fork, stay on CCbySA, ODbL or PD, or
any combination of it.

As the license property only decides how data
is exported to 3rd parties, there is no change to the current
situation for all OSM contributors.

Once we all agree on a final license (no license?) , OSM will
show to be mature , and can be exported as a whole again.

We have to discuss on implementation, but for the moment
anyone can continue to edit/map using the license of their preference.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen

 Before printing, think about the environment.