[Osmf-talk] SotM2011: What's next?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 16 14:25:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

Richard Weait wrote:
> In Girona I heard several people asking about SotM 2011, and not just
> asking when and where, but also asking about how to submit a bid to
> host.

Maybe it is a good idea to talk about the size and character of the
conference before soliciting bids, otherwise we'll have a
self-perpetuating behemoth.

Where do we want to go with SOTM? Budget last year, £18k; budget this
year, £36k; budget next year, £72k and follow FSC's advice
http://twitter.com/FakeSteveC/status/18182350680 to pay for the fun?
Business day yes or no? Hack day yes or no? More outreach? More
technical? More exclusive? More inclusive? Two days, three days, four days?

I don't know if these are issues to be decided centrally or whether the
organising groups should have the freedom to shape the character of the
conference, i.e. not only put in a bid for their location but also for
their concept.

If the latter, I would expect any bid to be accompanied by a concise
vision - what purpose is the conference to serve? What are we willing to
pay for it (in terms of money, time, mind-share, accepting to be
targeted by advertising etc)? Whom do we expect to come?

If the former, then I would expect these questions to be discussed and
results to be conveyed to potential bidders.

Bye
Frederik

PS: Wasn't there supposed to be a feedback form somewhere? I see Nick's
already posted an (interesting) PDF about things that went well and not
so well, does this include user feedback already or is it organisers only?