[Osmf-talk] Fwd: Number of people who checked 'public domain'

sotm at livingwithdragons.com sotm at livingwithdragons.com
Sun Oct 17 07:40:46 UTC 2010

I don't know how many have ticked it, but I do know...
* it has no legal meaning.

* it isn't a helpful count at all.
I'll quote Andy, " everyone reflexively ticked the box beside the agree
button. I’m guessing they all thought it was a “have you read the above
legal stuff” which you normally get on such forms."
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/shine/archives/2010/10/04/quick-and-dirty-usability-testing-of-osm/
But I've also observed this happen in my own "mum test". She said she
thought she had to do that for OpenStreetMap.

I know there is the big question about making OSM Public Domain or not.
But I would ignore arguments from both sides and remove the PD tick box.
It's not serving any purpose, other than two purposes it's only
pretending to serve.

Gregory Marler
LivingWithDragons.com