[Osmf-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Noise vs unanswered questions

Klaus Ga├čner k_gassner at web.de
Thu Sep 2 10:08:51 UTC 2010

Hi!

Am 02.09.2010 08:49, schrieb 80n:
>     Um, no, just all the smart people are kind of bored by you and your
>     friends so we don't participate in the mindless circular 'debates'
>     you engender any more. So all we have left on the list is you guys
>     jerking off.
>
> I'm saddened that the people in control of OSM have such little respect
> for their contributors.

I have not followed those discussions as I am bored of endless and
pointless debates myself. Judging the mail out of context, I would agree
that the tone is offending.

> OSMF has failed to demonstrate a convincing majority in favour of a
> license change, but is embarked on a plan to change the license without
> any further debate or decision point.

But I strongly disagree with those statements. Both to extending from a
rude remark (from a fellow known for rude remarks) to the whole of the
OSMF and to the content.

To the best of my knowledge, there were 3 votes so far that indicated
the tendency.
- official OSMF vote: ~85% in favour
- unofficial Doodle vote: ~85% in favour
- wiki category vote: 88% in favour

I believe those votes show a very convincing majority in favour -
except if you don't want to see it. There is no consensus. But in any
democracy, this would be considered a clear majority decision. It is
time to close the debates and carry on.

bye
               Klaus