[Osmf-talk] "ArcGIS supports Openstreetmap"

Sam Larsen samlarsen1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 09:02:32 UTC 2010

I agree - certainly from my limited use of the editor, it seems there is a lot
of potential for 'different' data loads than we get from other editors.  This
editor will suffer a number of teething problems like other editors, but may not
have the large open source developer community behind it to quickly resolve
issues.  My only real remedy to that is for myself to contribute to the editor
and try to feed back my comments & thoughts to others at ESRI to make it less
prone to upload messes.  I just have to try to find the time to spend on it ;)

> My other  issue, which I raised to Roberto Lucchi (ESRI Geoportal guy) during
> FOSS4G  is the issue of deriving content and licensing. Most ESRI users are
> just not  aware of the legal implications of tracing over imagery (while we,
> OSMers,  are). Tracing over the ESRI-branded base imagery is tempting, but not

> assuredly safe.

I completely agree with this point.  Sometimes i cringe at the thought of many
users tracing over imagery with no understanding of the licensing issues.
However, to a certain extent we have always had these users & as we expand more
(especially in other realms like HOT or by lowering the barrier to entry
[Strategic Working Group?]) there are a lot of users coming into the project
with no regard for licensing.  All we can do is to try to engage with & educate
those users, keep an eye out for suspect edits & do more of what we have been
doing.