[Osmf-talk] OSMF Core Values

Henk Hoff toffehoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 08:15:56 UTC 2011

Hello all,

As you know, we are working on updating the Articles of Association of the
OSMF.

On of the things we would like to do is to entrench (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrenched_clause) our core values. Thus making
them very hard to change which gives us a better protection against a
corporate take-over.

But ... what are our core values (that needs protection)? In our Memorandum
of Association the object of the Foundation is stated as follows:
*"OpenStreetMap Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the growth,
development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing
geospatial data for anybody to use and share."*

Are we still happy with that, or are there other goals within our Foundation
that needs to be locked as well? We would like to hear your opinion.

Just so you know: we're also looking into an Asset Lock for the
OpenStreetMap database. That means: in case we cease to exist, the database
needs to go to an organization with similar goals as our organization.

Cheers,

Henk Hoff
AoA committee