[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] OSMF organizational change: Management Team

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Thu Aug 11 20:14:14 UTC 2011

I agree with the fact that a  working group lead should be the primary
interface to the board, but why introduce a new layer in the "chain of
command"? It will only require more meetings, more spare time of the
same group of people. A management team will generate more overhead
then necessary. I would prefer "on demand"  meetings between working
group leaders that would, as with the working groups, simply be open
in communication and accessible for others to eavedrop.

I think more hierarchy would be bad. It slows things down by
introducing chains of approval..

I would suggest to give the working group leaders the authority to
make decisions within their domain. This would be a sign of trust from
the board to the working groups, a legit sign given the fact that all
these volunteers only have one similar goal: To make the OSMF a kick
ass foundation.

Is it a problem for working group leaders to contact each other on
more general topics? Do they really need the board as intermediar?
Personally I wouldn' t ,

I like the structure the OSMF has now. Although communications could
be improved (more open, more decisions instead of meeting just to
meet)

Introducing a management team scares me. It sounds hierarchic. It
sounds if some people will try to become "more important" than others.
It sounds like traditional company structure, I think it doesn't fit
OSMF.

My 2 cents.

Kind regards,

Milo