[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] OSMF organizational change: Management Team

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 00:51:49 UTC 2011

Henk,

I think that the recognition by the board that the status quo is not
creating the kind of change OSM needs is a positive step forward.

At the same time, I wonder about this new change and about its
organizational effect.

The problem in my view is one of focus and budget.

The teams don't have a single unifying vision that they're working
toward, and they don't know what resources are available to them in
order to accomplish their tasks.

The result is that the WGs may come to a consensus but that every
decision must be approved by the board.

It would seem that a solution to this would be to either give WGs
budgets with which to work under or to have an Executive Director,
whose full time job it is to manage the daily operations of the
organization and who has authorization to allow for actions to be
taken and the resources to do so if necessary.

Can you explain to me how adding an additional layer of indirection
between the WGs and the board will accomplish the task of streamlining
actions and make OSMF more agile and able to act, either reactively or
propactively?

- Serge