[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] OSMF organizational change: Management Team

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:57:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Milo van der Linden <milo at dogodigi.net> wrote:

> Introducing a management team scares me. It sounds hierarchic. It
> sounds if some people will try to become "more important" than others.
> It sounds like traditional company structure, I think it doesn't fit
> OSMF.

To put another point of view forward, I think the Management Committee
has a huge potential to improve the running of the OSMF. The key thing
here revolves around oversight and elections. The Board members are
elected and have ultimate responsibility for the running of the OSMF
and the legal whatnots required. However, when you end up with the
Board meeting every single week to discuss routine happenings, and
when the Board is trying to (outside of the meetings) also get a whole
load of routine stuff done, then you're asking a lot from the elected
members and probably missing out on the bigger picture. I for one
wouldn't want to stand for election to the board as-was, but if the
board now meets only a few times a year, and concentrates on the big
picture, then that's much better for everyone.

The Management Committee has started as Board + WG reps, but I expect
that to change over time. Some elected officers may not have the time
to deal with the day-to-day nitty gritty and excuse themselves from
the management committee - so much the better, since their most
important role is in a position of oversight. Likewise it makes it
easier for people to be on the Management Committee if they have the
time to deal with the day-to-day stuff - in the past, if you had the
time/skills to deal with it (say, responding to external enquires) you
couldn't be a board member without first getting elected and also
having legal responsibility for all the big picture stuff too.

tl;dr - the Board should only do what the Board *must* do, the other
stuff best done by the Management Committee

Cheers,
Andy