[Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 19:58:05 UTC 2011

My 2 cents is pretty much in line with what Frederik says below ... Membership is currently structured so that the Board vets
_all_ new membership requests, for multiple reasons, and this particular situation warranted more discussion.

This raised issues with the nature of individual and corporate
        sponsored membership, and should be a key topic in the AoA
        discussion  (which takes place diligently and weekly on Mondays,
        reports to the Strategic Working Group, and regularly has 2-3
        attendants. Perhaps some of this discussion can go
        *productively* into that discussion, because we all are
        recognizing issues in the AoA). The Board had a number of
        options to consider here, and discussed it at length ... accept
        outright, reject outright, or somewhere in between. No matter
        what decision was taken, there would've been disagreement among the membership...
        that's the nature of tough decisions like this one.

This compromise to delay acceptance of these members seemed like
        one that would both satisfy the desire for Skobbler employees to
        support the OSMF, while removing any pretence that this was an
        action aimed at takeover in the election. The issue of corporate membership and individual membership should be among the top agenda items for AoA rewrite. Skobbler is entirely
        ok with this decision.

Mikel

ps While we are discussing all this, and other issues, it's
        strange to note that no one has registered interest in running
        for the Board, except a troll.

== Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron