[Osmf-talk] Membership applications from Skobbler employees

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:10:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org> wrote:
> We have talked about a more contribution based membership model; but this
> could be gamed, it's hard to tie edits to real people or easily stop someone
> gaining multiple memberships.

How does the current system stop someone from gaining multiple memberships ?
How does any system stop someone from gaining multiple memberships ?

We mainly rely on members to be honest.

A contribution based membership system makes it difficult for an
individual to have large number of memberships: You can make only a
certain amount of edits before a pattern develops that can be
statistically detected, either with software or by the crowd.

But more importantly, the membership count will be much larger,
diluting any attempts to game the system.

Frederik wrote:
> At least here in Germany, the Wikimedia Foundation does not have a reputation of good governance, and does not > enjoy a lot of trust.

I've read a number of your posts on a number of different lists and I
can say we have different opinions of what constitutes good
governance.