[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Serge Wroclawski serge at wroclawski.org
Tue Aug 30 13:11:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:17:57PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> "Let OSMF  be the simplest thing that could possibly work."

Frederik,

I'm glad you're bringing this up, it's maybe the first time in this
election people want to discuss differences in view.

I like you, we've met several times and I think you're a good guy, and
your view regarding the OSMF is very common, but saying "the simplest
thing that could possibly work" is a bit of hyperbole. After all, whose
to say what's too simple?

My view is that OSMF should be doing more to help the community. There
are differences in opinion on this matter. Some believe that OSMF should
be doing as little as possible. But I don't agree with that sentiment. I
think the OSMF is in a unique position to encourage mapping.

Major infrastructure changes I'd like to see (as a member of the board
or not) would include have a more robust infrastructure with multiple
sites, a reduction in the amount of work the sys-admins needs to by
standardizing hardware, and more.

The board does have a part to play in that, in that its the board who
sets the vision. Right now, some of the working groups (and I'm thinking
of the TWG, but I'll get to the SWG in a moment) wheel spin. They can
only act on larger visions set forth by the leadership. And the
leadership has not been giving them any.

The SWG has been mandated with creating a new mandate, but only after
approval of the board, etc. The SWG has done its best, but leadership
doesn't come from asking a subcommitte "What do I stand for?" but rather
from the leaders explaining thier platform, and if the votes are there,
being voted in under that platform.

So to summarize, I think OSMF can do more, more to help the OSM project
by making our infrastructure more robust, by helping provide a vision to
the community, by working closer to the community directly, by being
involved and using the foundation to address real problems.

That's what I stand for, and that's what I hope to do if elected.

- Serge