[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Tue Aug 30 15:11:54 UTC 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Let us try to remain true to the basics - let OSMF do what is required,
> and keep OSMF out of everything else.

I think this is the crux of it.

"What is required" does not, at present, include getting involved in the
hardware, or in evangelizing OSM in Germany, or in encouraging people to
write rendering software, or any of that. We have excellent volunteers
doing a terrific job for all of those. Any OSMF involvement is likely to
make things worse.

But in other areas, it may be the case that "what is required" to
"support the project" is for OSMF to help more volunteers do amazing things.

For example, we might get reasonably good evidence that Google Map Maker
is kicking our collective arses in (say) the States. It would be
entirely within OSMF's mission to "support the project" to identify the
volunteers who can help to turn that around, and to support them with
the hardware, PR resources and whatever else they might need.

Or we might get reasonably good evidence that newcomers are finding it
difficult to get started with the project. Again, "supporting the
project" could mean helping to convene and organise a group of
volunteers to sort out documentation, or whatever.

That is how I see OSMF's role. Keep out of the way of the volunteers
already doing good things; support other volunteers to do the things
that aren't yet happening, but will help the project to grow.

As you said - "do what is required, and keep out of everything else".

cheers
Richard