[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Eugene Usvitsky eugene at usvitsky.com
Wed Aug 31 08:10:50 UTC 2011

Hello everyone!

Frederik raised a very good question which should been raised earlier
or later. As we could see, during short 3 hours from his initial
messages very different opinions were expressed and I'm sure today
this discussion will continue. There were a lot of good ideas and real
facts mentioned here so I just would like to express my own opinion to
this, as Kai asked.

First, I totally agree with Oliver - any supportive actions (legal,
technical, financial and others) can not be planned and implemented
without understanding WHY do we need them. Second, no one knows where
really the difference between support and control in infamous OSMF
motto "support not control" lies.

But this overall question is deeper. Currently OSMF already IS shaping
OSM life. It was responsible for license change (the problem 99%
project members didn't really care before), it is responsible for
project conference (for calling for and choosing sponsors and
presenters), it is responsible for what and how is shown on the
project main page, to name a few things. License and CT change made
this ties even stronger and we can't avoid this. But should we?

Every successful project has its leader and strategy. Even if we take
open source community we'll see this: Wikipedia has its Jimmy Wales,
Ubuntu has its Canonical and Linux itself has its Linus. This is right
approach - no company (or community) without clear goal and clear way
to it can work for a long time and be a leader in its field. This is
especially important within distributed and diversed projects like
OSM.

We all understand OSM as one project. But in reality it is a
combination of local communities working each for their own map (and
these communities are not just country-level, they can be regional or
even less). These communities almost don't interfere, the only thing
they have in common is osm.org (though some have their own renders),
software editors and tags (though they often understand tags
differently). That's it!

So if someone decides that this situation is normal and it should be
left as is, it's OK. But I personally don't think so. I want to see
OSM as a project. And this means collaboration between communities and
what is more important, clear understanding of what we should reach.

We all know that OSM is not a democracy and never pretended to be. I
work with the project for almost 4 years. I've seen a lot of members -
novices and experts. Everyone wants the same - clear directions of
what and how to do. And that's not the problem of lack of educational
resources. That is a problem of decisions. Now everyone is equal. And
that means that if I put a name of some street as "Main St" and
someone changed it to "Main Street" we both are right. There are
thousand of some micro-disagreements. And for members it doesn't
really important who will "win". It's more important that there should
be one and ONLY one way of doing something. People who disagree can
argue, can leave the project and create a fork but if OSM wants to be
successful there should be someone who makes decisions and enforce
them. OSMF is the one organisation who can do that.

Look at Apple, Inc. They are heavily criticized for lack of options -
1 phone, 2 laptop models and that's all. But are they successful?
Definitely. Millions of people can easily understand what they can get
and choose Apple products because of this clarity. They don't really
care that they lack something. They prefer to get easy way of doing
things at a price of losing some functionality. Those who don't like
this go somewhere. We have several competitors for OSM, global and
local. There are places where those who don't agree can go - Google
MapMaker, Wikimapia and others. There are even OSM forks. But we as
OSM can't try to fulfill everyone's wishes and opinions. There should
be only one.

Why one way of doing is important? Because we are drawing a map of the
world not just for fun (I hope so). We are here to help people - show
them that they can work not only with commercial maps, offer them more
flexibility in getting navigational maps, even improve the society.
But these tasks MAKE us to do something not as we would like to do it.
They FORCE us to provide better data. Data, which can easily be
filtered, parsed, data, which is clear of errors, data which doesn't
require reading of dozens wiki pages for tags descriptions and parsing
documentation. The project now doesn't even have tags normalizer! We
can't make the project a trash of hundreds not-really-compatible parts
due to different understanding of one things. And this means the same
I explained above - there should be someone who is responsible for
cleaning AND making everyone not to bring the garbage (wrong tags or
tags combinations, at least) back.
And this is OSMF.

We are in better position than, say, Ubuntu. We are not fighting for
project leader position. Such large project can not have one leader.
But it SHOULD have a leadership group with clear understanding. And
OSMF Board is a perfect match for this task.

I also would like to mention one more thing: look at this discussion.
We are here to understand should or should not OSMF "rule" the
project. We have more than 350 members of OSMF and everyone is getting
these messages in mailing list. How much of them think this is
important and due to that fact they expressed their own opinion here?
9 people (including me). Nine. Out of 350. So do these people (who are
usually more active than standard OSM member) really bother?

Best wishes,
Eugene.