[Osmf-talk] OSMF board elections - slight repost

Wed Aug 31 12:54:02 UTC 2011

Oliver Kühn wrote:
> I think everybody who is seriously considering a candidate should talk
> to current or former board members.

That's why I'm asking here. I figured maybe board members might read
osmf-talk, which from the fact you've answered is happily the case; and be
prepared to extend a public hand to prospective new board members,
wherever they might come from, which sadly appears not to be.

I am genuinely astonished at this, and am torn between not running because
it's so difficult to find out even this basic information, and running
because you appear to be a shower of blithering incompetents and could do
with a large dose of clue.

FWIW, I am a former board member myself. But I have no idea, for example,
about the frequency of board meetings now that the Management Team is in
place. I also don't know whether meetings are still facilitated via a
telephone dial-in; IIRC CloudMade provided a dial-in for OSMF meetings at
some point and I doubt that continues now. And so on.

> Have you ever seen a "prime minister manual" to decide if you want to
> become prime minister?

There certainly is one of those for the British Prime Minister, yes. In
addition, all candidates for Government office (i.e. the Shadow Cabinet
before an election and, if deemed necessary, the equivalent in the third
party) are given verbal and written briefings by civil servants.

My little sister works in the Cabinet Office a couple of doors down from
Mr Cameron. Do you want me to see if I can get you a copy of the
manual?[1]

cheers
Richard

[1] for the avoidance of doubt and for the future benefit of people
reading the archives, that is not a serious offer ;)