[Osmf-talk] OSMF board elections - slight repost

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Aug 31 15:53:03 UTC 2011

I'll give you the facts and then the real answer.

This year we tried multiple things. We started on the phone monthly and
then doubled to every other week and then weekly. this was because not
all members could make the calls, some had bad phone lines and so on.
With increasing frequency it was hoped that more members would be able
to attend at least one call here or there. Weekly simply became too much
for those attending all the time and thus we are trying the management
meetings. This both puts the board back and pushes the working groups
forward. So in theory the board will meet every 3-6 months as a normal
board would. Then the management meetings happen monthly and consist of
the heads of the working groups to throw tasks at each other, the board
or the other way around. Then working groups can meet as often as they
wish, but weekly seems to be common.

Thus the working groups can deal with their specific issues frequently.
Occasionally the working groups need to exchange tasks or information
via the management meeting. Infrequently something is required of the
board like approving a motion for the Articles of Association or
something like that.

In addition the board tries to meet face to face twice a year next to an
OSM event, like SOTM. Almost everything else happens on the phone and
for some working groups, IRC.

Now the real answer is that the commitment is very low (those 3-6 month
board meetings) but those of us who care deeply will of course be
spending a lot of time in the working groups, helping make SOTM happen,
answering emails, dealing with random administrative issues and so on
and you can easily spend 20, 40 or more weeks on OSM if you wish to. HOT
and some of the local groups have set up their own boards and finances
but if you consider them part of OSM(F) then you can add a lot more
hours in too.

As Mikel highlighted, the main thing you should be prepared for isn't so
much the time commitment but the fact that it's a thankless task. You
will have to make choices between two equally bad options and take the
flak for it. Those kinds of things. But for the author of Potlatch, I'm
sure that's not a new issue :-)

Best

Steve