[Osmf-talk] logo update

Guttorm Flatabø post at guttormflatabo.com
Sun Dec 18 23:26:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM, SteveCoast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> So far there have been 70 entries and I've scored them all. It's matched
> my experience so far with crowdSpring which is that the best logos don't
> tend to turn up until after half way through the competition.

I couldn't seem to sort on scoring, is the scoring not public?

Many of them have fallen in to the "OSM text plus a pin" bucket with some
> interesting variations on how to represent a pin. The majority of these
> logos have been given three stars which means "ok". There are a bunch of
> 1's and 2's too. Mostly the creatives will go back and iterate based on
> feedback. Many just seem to think that having a gradient make a logo
> inherently better, things like that.
>

>From the competition I recently held on 99designs that is my experience as
well. Detailed feedback (what part of the logo do I like, what do I not
like, suggestions of improvement), and comments about thinking outside what
has already been done, gave me 282 designs with a 310 USD prize, and as
there were "only" 40 designers most of them were iterations.

> I think in a couple of days I'll open up the first round of voting to see
> how people feel about the entries but right now there isn't enough
> variation in design to make it worthwhile.

Lack of variation seems to be one of the problems in public competitions
like this, I'd make the lack of variation a public comment to the designers
to motivate them to be more creative. I'd also be sure to limit the designs
that we can vote on, so we don't have to sift through a lot of irrelevant
cruft.

--
Guttorm Flatabø