[Osmf-talk] logo update

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 19 18:31:42 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 12/19/2011 06:48 PM, spof85 at web.de wrote:
>> This project is Double Top Secret. Just kidding - all you need to
>> do is log in and you'll be able to view the details.

You can use the username "bugmenot" and the same password.

> Anyways, I would be quite unhappy to see a new logo on the site
> without its creation/selection being openly discussed. I happen to be
> on this mailing list (and will unsubscribe once this mail is sent
> since I am not interested in flame wars, a potpourri of quoting
> styles or this many e-mails), otherwise I would not have heard of
> this.
>
> OSMF, this belongs to http://blog.osmfoundation.org/
>
> And in my opinion it also belongs into a official OSM news
> feed/site/page. If there are "forces" deciding and forming aspects of
> OSM, then this should be done as public as possible and as convenient
> as possible. Mailings lists, forums, IRC are neither.

I find it intriguing that *all* channels of communication you list are
"top-down" channels, where someone at the top decides what gets posted
and others then read/follow it, or don't, and where any kind of feedback
happens, at best, through comment forms on web pages.

None of the means of communication that you seem to recommend or prefer
is truly two-way; none will facilitate discussion. The best you can
expect is 10 people each declaiming their own opinion from their
respective blogs.

I think that a community project needs frank discussions, and needs
people who are willing to engage in discussion rather than run away as
soon as two people have different opinions.

> I really like the current logo and see no reason to waste money,
> thoughts or time on a new one. The current logo was created just half
> a year ago.

How would you voice your opinion in a world of "convenient" media? Read
article on blog.osmfoundation.org, then growl somewhere on your blog
which is read by about 0.5% of people reading the osmf blog?

Bye
Frederik