[Osmf-talk] site

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Dec 20 10:19:36 UTC 2011

On 20 December 2011 02:20, SteveCoast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> #5 is kind of interesting with the social integration and the panels at
> the bottom.

I like the diaries showing up, if that's what you're referring to?

How about this: you go to the homepage and (if your browser allows it) it
asks to zoom to your local area, and shows recent edits made in the area in
a box to one side of the map (excluding the edits over areas larger than
the local area, e.g. all those xybot changesets). The list of edits is
simplified to focus on the picture of the user, the date and the comment,
with a link to see the full details.

Not hidden away, have this right there on the homepage. Show off that we're
about people collaborating on the map data.

gregory's is kind of interesting in putting the cartography up front,
> something that I think would be great to expose very clearly.

Yes, I really liked that when Gregory first drew it up.

> Our current panel has things like "mapnik" which nobody has a clue what
> that means.

On this note, simplifying the language we use and making sure only one word
is used to describe one concept would be good. So goodbye "mapnik", hello
"default map"; goodbye "permalink", hello "share this map"; goodbye "edit /
changesets / history", hello "edit / edits / recent edits".

Regards,
Tom