[Osmf-talk] site

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Dec 20 11:36:12 UTC 2011

On 20 December 2011 11:23, SteveCoast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> How did we end up with a power structure or community guideline or
> whatever where secret ballots at the MQ office on whether to put the MQ
> logo on OSM is okay, but open debate over thinking about a logo or design
> is fraught with difficulty, paranoia and clashing opinions on the merits of
> even trying something?

The process Tom Hughes described may be imperfect, but at least it uses the
structures of the democratically accountable OpenStreetMap Foundation.

We don't need to be paranoid about the fact that decisions were taken in
the MapQuest offices because the decision followed the Foundation
guidelines, and there are processes to challenge it such as voting out the
Board or changing guidelines.

I am enjoying the debate over the logo and web site redesign, but in this
case there appears to be no democratically accountable body starting the
process and filtering feedback to the designers. There are no guidelines on
how to proceed, just your "on the hood" energy and enthusiasm. I hope that
this process you've started comes up with some great ideas, and that the
Foundation can decide how to take up any of the ideas that come out of it.

Best wishes,
Tom