[Osmf-talk] site

Matt Amos matt at asklater.com
Tue Dec 20 18:39:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 20/12/11 14:18, Kate Chapman wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Tom Hughes<tom at compton.nu>  wrote:
>>
>>> I would be very reluctant personally to have a paid implementation
>>> because
>>> it basically pays somebody to the interesting work of writing something
>>> while leaving the grunt work of trying to review the results to the
>>> volunteers.
>>

>> I'm curious Tom, is implementing every feature interesting to you?
>> Are there tasks other than reviewing patches that you consider grunt
>> work?
>
> Maybe there are better tools we could use. I know there are web based code
> review tools and things, though I have never used any. Maybe we should be
> looking at some of those.

this is reminiscent of the "Linus doesn't scale" thing [1], for which
the eventual solution seems to have been to filter through a few
levels of maintainers first [2] so that feedback can be given earlier
in the process. alternatively, the github pull request discussion
features [3] are a pretty lightweight and (i've found) useful way to
do this sort of thing.

cheers,

matt

[1] http://lwn.net/2002/0131/a/patch-penguin.php3