[Osmf-talk] AoA Discussion

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Tue Jul 19 05:24:42 UTC 2011

Hi!

Am 19.07.2011 00:02, schrieb Jonathan Bennett:
> On 18/07/2011 22:21, Chris Fleming wrote:
>
>> Does anyone think that corporate members should get a vote?
>
> No, I don't. It achieves very little while still having the potential to
> cause controversy.
>
> It achieves little because a single vote doesn't give the organisation
> much power, so if they want to have influence in OSMF, legitimate or
> otherwise, they'll still end up signing up employees as members.
>
> Having corporate members able to vote, even if their influence is
> limited, could be portrayed as OSMF being run by commercial interests,
> and some people would believe it.

+1

Exactly the point. Corporate members voting or on the board will be
suspected of a commercial takeover by a lot of people - just what had
been predicted by some in the licence change discussions. This would
poison the sense of identity as a free and independent alternative to
commercial interests. IMHO it has the potential to break OSM apart for good.

Therefore I agree that corporate members should be limited to a
sponsorship without vote.

On the other hand, I do not believe that there should be restrictions
for natural persons. Finding really fair criteria acceptable to all is
impossible. And any sort of restriction does not become a project that
considers itself "open".

bye
                Nop