[Osmf-talk] Google (was AoA)

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 12:19:18 UTC 2011

On 19/07/2011 12:57, fh.sainct wrote:
> To me it is obvious that, if given the possibility, Google et al will
> definitely step in, whatever the cost --just to know OSM strategy, and
> clearly with objectives that are not nice. To say the least.
Then how do you explain Google's £5000 donation to OSMF[1] with no
strings attached?

Seriously, Google does have a "competing" product in Map Maker, but it's
for us to explain why mapping for and using OpenStreetMap is a better
idea, rather than being paranoid about being hijacked in some way. You
never know, one day Google might start using the data as well.

[1] http://donate.openstreetmap.org/comments/