[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Eugene Usvitsky eugene at usvitsky.com
Sat Nov 12 15:37:23 GMT 2011

Hi Frederik,

I personally strongly support the actions of the new Board. I have the
same understanding of things going on and if I was chosen I would seek
the same actions.
I'd like to remind you about your previous posts under the same
subject, back in the beginning of September. You never answered my
questions (rather rhetorical, but still) so I will ask the same again.
Others can read that message here -
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2011-September/001218.html

My points was that OSM members never actually voted for OSMF creation
ever. So, Data WG (member of which you are) simply  don't have a
mandate to delete user content and ban users. So if we implement an
approach "support not control" in reality, should we dismiss all WGs
(including DWG and TWG)? Should we develop a "karma" voting system
when users can vote for each other and those with highly negative
rating will be banned automatically? Should we not limit people in
access to servers hosting OSM (both physically and electronically)
because noone is better than others?

You are writing:
> I think democracy benefits from
> options being publicly discussed among the electorate, rather than everyone
> silently and secretly posting their vote.
But do you remember your own words: "OSM is not a democracy, and does
not aspire to be one."?
(http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg28796.html)

The process of managing the project of such size can't be halfway
process - here we manage things, and here we are playing democracy.
OSMF IS already controlling the project in parts and this neither can
be avoided nor (more importantly) rises any large scale concerns. We
should simply stop pretending that OSM is simply a group of equal
people mapping the world. We should accept the fact that there's no
other project of such size which can live successfully without
managing its most important parts. We should at last understand that
project NEEDS management and all we as its members should do is to
avoid Wikipedia- or corporate-like extremes in it.

Other people often insist that OSM organisation type is do-ocracy. I'm
against any fancy "-cracy" names, especially of non-existing types.
But anyhow members of new Board are acting exactly this way - they do.
They do because they want to do and they can. Isn't it the OSM style?

Best wishes,
Eugene.