[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Jaak Laineste jaak at nutiteq.com
Wed Nov 16 11:18:00 UTC 2011

On 16.11.2011, at 10:31, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen wrote:

> >>When was OSM-F given a "mandate to make decisions that the community then had to follow"? How?
>
> >If it was not, what gave it legitimacy to exclude members from the community, for example?
>
> For the rest : OSMF mandate was self established, and supported later
> by the community in a implicit way, I mean:  no-one send them away
> and no-one approved.

 For me there are several reasons why OSM-F is legitimate:
a) by execution - they are most active group to support seriously OSM project: find sponsors, organize SOTM, manage servers etc.
b) by origin - project founder(s) are personally empowering it.
c) by approval - formally by accepting CT, indirectly also by not providing any real alternative

 If someone does not like OSMF or the board then he/she can always start with superior execution supporting the project and community. But probably much easier would be to give constructive improvement ideas, and perhaps campaign to the OSMF board and improve it from inside.

Jaak