[Osmf-talk] Elections: Avoid Mandate Creep

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Sat Nov 12 15:48:26 UTC 2011

On 12/11/2011 15:39, Matt Amos wrote:
>> I'm sorry but this sounds like pure PR fodder - as if someone had in mind
>> the press release "OSM aims to become #1 world map in 2012". But in my eyes
>> it is exactly this kind of hollow, arbitrary phrase-producing leadership
>> that is *not* desirable for OSM.
>
> should we not be the worlds most used map? it's not a commercial
> matter of "beating" google in any way - we're a non-profit - but
> doesn't our map deserve to be the most used map in the world? the goal
> is audacious and although we might not meet it, and it's not the end
> of the world if we don't, we should certainly feel disappointed if we
> don't try.

On this one specific issue, my opinion is that we've succeeded not when
openstreetmap.org is used more than maps.google.com, but when
maps.google.com uses OpenStreetMap data.

Google isn't an enemy as such, just another possible outlet for our
efforts. That will happen when the case for using the data is so
compelling that Google is prepared to swallow its pride. I have no idea
when that will be, but I would rather that was an OSMF goal than to try
to be *the* map portal site. "Most used" doesn't have to mean "most
visitors to our site".

J.