[Osmf-talk] should OSMF AGM include time for discussion debate?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 13 07:17:04 UTC 2011

Martijn,

On 09/13/11 07:54, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> That was the kind of position i was thinking about - not a management
> position, more like a, let's say, administrative assistant.

Even so, paid staff tends to shift the balance of power in an
organisation. I would be interested in hearing how this works out for
the music magazine you were talking about. How are they governed?

Paid staff will normally lead to the board having a stronger management
role (after all they're now responsible for someone's job), and at the
same time there is a danger of the organisation becoming less focused.
Because without paid staff OSMF can only do things that are important
enough for a board member or a working group to tackle, or important
enough to be outsourced for money - but once you have staff who need to
be kept busy, you can dust off all those pet projects from the attic ;)

Yes, you get more done, but maybe those projects where in the attic for
a reason?

Bye
Frederik