[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Aug 23 16:19:33 UTC 2012

Am 23.08.2012 16:10, schrieb Mikel Maron:
> > Could you set out what those problems are, and what has been tried to
> date?
>
> I'll start with one, which is retention of new users. While
> registrations just recently climbed above 700K, active users are
> roughly 18K/month. Active users have maybe doubled in the past 3
> years, while registered users has increased nearly fivefold. We've
> known about this problem for years, and should have taken steps to
> increase retention, while we've seen a significant decrease in
> retention rate.

Why do you consider it a "problem"?

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a good thing to have more active
experienced mappers, but aren't the numbers simply showing the results
of our net becoming larger (and by-catch increasing over proportionally)
due to increase in popularity? In other words: a to be expected trend.
Compared to Wikipedia (which is probably the only benchmark available)
we are light years ahead and we are still seeing growth.

Simon