[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 23 20:10:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:13:18 +0300
Rich <richlv at nakts.net> wrote:
> we don't send a message like that, it's just human nature - no
> reward, no motivation.

Yep. I'm all for more rewards! But those can come in many forms, and
Jaakko was specifically saying that people don't map what is not SHOWN
ON THE MAP, which is only one of many potential forms of reward.

> in a similar manner i have every now and then not mapped things i
> know won't show up.

That's because the map is a nicer reward than, say, some
simple statistic saying "Rich has contributed 1024 nodes today". But
there could be many other forms of reward, for example nicer and more
meaningful statistics broken down by areas or whatever. "Rich has
contributed 25% of routing-specific data in the area you are
viewing". (Where routing-specific data = turn restrictions, speed
limits, access restrictions - all hugely important stuff that is
difficult to show on any map, even at z20.)

All I'm saying is that we must not focus solely on the map - it's bad
enough if our mappers already do that ;)

Bye
Frederik