[Osmf-talk] Question to board members

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Thu Aug 23 22:30:25 UTC 2012

Frederik,

We all get kicks from different things obviously.

But if some random Average Joe (who's not a geo/map geek like all us
reading this list) starts mapping with e.g. adding his office of favorite
speciality shop and it doesn't show up why on earth would he continue? S/he
probably won't. And s/he'd be logical. .. We and others who would continue
would be a tad weird. (I confess to that shamelessly and so do many of us,
I know.)

As someone commented the project is clearly in a very different position
now with 700k people signed up than even two+ years ago when we hit the
200k mark.
There will be less and less people who are interested to continue to
contribute to something that they (as "Sunday mappers") won't see. .. Which
is what Mikel noted as a worry, which I agree to (given that we'll always
have a loooong long tail.)

I don't think that those that add piles of
man_made=some-odd-man-made-thing-that-doesn't-show-up-in-renderings-like-manhole-covers
will care at all that their things don't show up in the standard map (or
any other widely available rendering for that matter). But it _does_ matter
if shop=mattress doesn't show up (an example pulled out of my hat). It
would matter to the random mapper that didn't get the reward, it would
matter to the shopowner/manager that see it in/on OSM but has seen in in
Google Maps for years, it matters to OSM as a project because people are
not getting server. It wouldn't matter to Garmin navigator only -users or
other "taylored-systems" users that would see it -- but that's a minority.

I'm just saying that let's not forget the majority.

I am _not_ saying that OSM is a map only. .. I usually say _very_ early on
to people when explaining OSM that the project is actually not a map
project but an open geo-data project.

Cheers from Haiti,
-Jaakko
who's just participating in HOT preparations for the Isaac tropical storm
(recently announced hurricane one) to see what non-visible-in-Mapnik data
we could get out to those who it would help. It just started raining.