[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Aug 25 17:12:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Henk Hoff <henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org>wrote:

> As you mentioned Mike is also active in a competing project.
> With Mike being an outspoken opponent of the way OSMF is going forward, I
> would suggest that Mike focusses his time on the competing project where (I
> hope) he's not seen as such an outspoken opponent.
>
> Henk

I have a few follow-up questions about this board decision:
* I do not remember having seen any announcement of this kind before on
this list. Can I infer that this is the first time membership has been
denied to applicants?
* Are all applications and membership renewals held to the same level of
scrutiny? I personally don't remember ever having been asked about
revealing potential conflicting interests when applying for or renewing my
membership.
* It is still not quite clear to me why these individuals were denied OSMF
membership. For 'Edwin-ldbg' you mention that the application was 'not
serious' but treated as if it were, and you leave it at that. For 'Mike
Dupont', you quote recent disruptive behavior and refusal to comply with
the CT (when it seems that the applicant actually does have an OSM account
for which he accepted the CT - is this true?), later adding that he is an
outspoken opponent of board policy. All these arguments seem to me to be
insufficient to deny someone membership. This leads me to ask what the
criteria are for denying someone membership, and how those were applied
here?

I am not expressing an opinion about whether these individuals should be
able to become members of OSMF. What I am expressing is some concern with
the procedure followed, a concern which is in line with what Tobias Knerr
expressed before me.
--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com