[Osmf-talk] OSMF membership applications rejected

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Aug 25 18:41:55 UTC 2012

Oliver,

On 25.08.2012 17:01, Oliver Kühn wrote:
> your position is still unclear to me since you are still using the
> forum. Are you accepting trolls and tolerating these Nazi-statements
> from a troll?

I'm accepting the fact that those for whom the forum is the primary form
of OSM community - and I, while occasionally reading and writing in the
forum, am not part of this social group - seem to be (on the whole) ok
with the way things are.

As far as I see it, they are not ignoring Edwin because they don't know
any better, but after a thorough discussion of the available options.
They have the technical means to stop Edwin from posting but they chose
not to use them, knowing full well that using them will also have
negative side effects. I like to think that they have weighed the
options and made a, hopefully wise, decision, but to tell the truth I
know too little about how the forum community "ticks" to say for sure!
All I know that personalities differ between media and that what may be
all right on a certain mailing list may not be all right on a certain
forum and vice versa.

Now there might be a threshold where one would have to conclude that the
forum community is incompetent at problem solving and needs to be forced
to make the "right" decisions from the outside. (And, I say that again,
I do consider myself to be 'from the outside' regarding the forum.) This
threshold would perhaps be reached if we had lots of complaints about
Edwin, or if he were to post things deemed illegal, and the existing
forum moderators would not act. As things are, at least I have not
received any complaints about Edwin or the forum moderators - au
contraire, the few times when I chose to oppose Edwin in the forum I
have received personal emails saying "ah, just ignore him".

> Was your initial mail a proposal how to deal with these
> statements (shrug away)?

No, my initial mail was what it said on the label - giving a little
background to those who don't know who or what this Edwin guy is.

Bye
Frederik