[Osmf-talk] Future of DWG work, copyright, vandalism

Michal Palenik michal.palenik at freemap.sk
Sat Jun 9 14:55:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 12:13:08PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> 1. Vandalism
> Usually starts with someone complaining about someone else breaking
> things. Sometimes involves blocking the "vandal", often it is later
> found out that it was a misunderstanding and not true vandalism, but
> we do occasionally have people who continue with a new account as
> soon as we block them.
>
> B. Continuing Vandalism
> As I said initially, most vandals aren't really vandals, and most
> real vandals go a way after you block them once or send them a
> message.
> * policy measures - stop giving full edit privileges to every new
> user; instead, make it so that new users have some limits such as
> so-and-so many edits per day, or only make edits within a certain
> range of your home location, or you have to be "vouched for" by at
> least two other mappers before you can edit for real, whatever. One
> would have to find a policy that takes the fun out of vandalism
> while not being a turn-off for real mappers.

for the api 0.7 discussion, i've put some ideas for locking certain
features. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7#Lock_feature
this should work against vandals renaming cities or newbies destroying
boundaries. the drawback is that some local chapters would have to exist
in order to put in and remove the locks.

also some elementary control of relations (boundary must be multipolygon
or turn restriction must have three members) would help, but these
mistakes are not usually vandalism but mere human errors

michal

--
michal palenik
www.freemap.sk