[Osmf-talk] Travel expenses for OSMF officials (to SOTM, mainly)

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon May 14 10:19:50 UTC 2012

Hi Steven,

As someone living in Japan for many years now I don't think that travelling
in Japan is more expensive than travelling in Europe or North America.
Indeed the Japanese currency is currently very strong, but that has been
very different four years ago when Euro was very expensive for me.

Yes, you find these statistics about the worlds most expensive cities,
though they often compare the wrong numbers in my opinion. What is very
expensive in Japan is your apartment rent. Though people are living in much
smaller houses and apartments. Or a parking space can be as expensive as an
apartment somewhere else. But many people don't own a car. So you can't
really compare 1 sqm in Tokyo with 1 sqm in a European city.

Flights can be expensive depending from where you travel. For someone from
Australia or Asia flight tickets will be a lot cheaper than any SotM
before. Of course you can spend a lot of money in Tokyo, but you can also
have a regular lunch in a restaurant for 5 - 10 EUR, including tip (which
doesn't exist in Japan) and water or tea.

We will try to add information for low-budget travelers on the wiki. Though
I don't thing someone needs to worry that Tokyo will be significantly more
expensive than a stay in Denver, Barcelona, Sydney, Wien, etc.. You will
find out that some things cost more and some things will be cheaper.

Daniel

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was the cost of travel for OSMF board members (and for that matter other
> members of the OSM community) specifically considered when selecting Tokyo
> (just relegated to the world's second most expensive city apparently
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505146_162-57379050/worlds-10-most-expensive-cities/) to
> host SOTM? If so how were these costs balanced against the benefits of
> extending the reach of the community etc?
>
> Are there any published criteria for the selection process?

> *
> Steven Feldman*

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de