[Osmf-talk] payment options for membership fees, donations and sponsorings in different currencies

'Michal Palenik' michal.palenik at freemap.sk
Mon May 14 13:55:30 UTC 2012

not really,

there are two types of payments: international and SEPA
international is around 10-15 €/£/USD. you can pay in any currency.
as you said.

SEPA is around 10-15 cents and usually is well hidden in internet
banking. you can pay only in €. if you specify as currency £, it gets
"magically" transfered to international payment (with 100 times more
costs).

a disadvantage of SEPA is that you have to send €, so if you want to
send exactly 15£ it is nearly impossible (you have to magically/manually
calculate with bank exchange rate). also, it's only available 32
european countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

to currency loss/gains: when you have assets in another currency, you
have to calculate it to your currency with current exchange rate (which
is always different from last years)

michal
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 02:32:08PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Although UK banks operate with the IBAN referencing system as far as I am
> aware the UK banks do not typically clear through SEPA because of the
> currency exchange element. This means in practice that there is
> unfortunately always a cost when transferring money in to out of other
> European countries. Typically it is anything between £10 and £15 depending
> on bank. I guess it's one of the disadvantages we have for not joining the
> Euro.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

michal palenik