[Osmf-talk] Proceedings from Face-to-Face Board Meeting

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 12 09:37:51 UTC 2012

Andy,

On 11/12/2012 10:18 AM, Andy Robinson wrote:
> The mission statement appears to move away from the original aims of the
> foundation in that it only appears to cover the maintenance and protection
> of the project. As far as I recall the original aims included promotion and
> education and surely these need to be reflected in where the OSMF wishes to
> go? Maintenance and protection are of course important and required but they
> aren't exactly forward looking.

The paramount raison d'etre for the organisation is of course the
Memorandum of Association and it is not within the board's power to
change that.

What you see in this "mission statement" is the things that all board
members present at the F2F agreed to be important; the list is not meant
to describe the outer limits of OSMF activity.

If a particular item is not mentioned explicitly in the mission
statement, that can have one of three reasons:

1. Nobody found it important enough to bring it up;
2. It was brought up but not unanimously agreed;
3. It was brought up but we thought it was already more or less included
in one of the other items.

I think that in your case ("promotion and education") we believed that
was already adequately covered when we said that we have the task of
"making OSM available to all" (but I say this from my memory and not
with the authority of meeting minutes signed off by all).

Don't be mislead by the goals in the mission statement; they may not
sound "forward looking" but making sure they are met not only today but
also next year does require quite a bit of looking forward!

Bye
Frederik