[Osmf-talk] Anonymous notes on osm.org

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Nov 13 07:52:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 11/13/2012 04:04 AM, Harry Wood wrote:
> I feel quite strongly that we should allow anonymous notes. The exciting
> thing about OpenStreetBugs was always the simplicity of the user
> experience, particularly for non-registered fly-by contributors.

That's my thinking as well.

I'd suggest to address the copyright issue by some kind of extra popup
that says "by submitting this you confirm that you have not copied from
other maps" or so, with a "don't show this again" button that leads to a
cookie being set.

I'd suggest to address the spam issue once it does become a problem; the
"you need an account to post notes" requirement will not magically
absolve us from spam anyway - in fact it is less likely to drive away a
spammer than to drive away a bug reporter. Given that the "notes" layer
will have to be enabled separately, spamming the map would not give the
spammer any direct visibility so it should be a niche pastime.

If we find, at a later time, that anonymous notes are unworkable then we
can still lock it down.

Bye
Frederik