[Osmf-talk] Anonymous notes on osm.org

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Tue Nov 13 20:48:51 UTC 2012

Ciprian Niculescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In short: I'm agains anonymous reporting
>
> In long: My experience with fixing bugs, is that at first i saw a bug that
> was not clear and ask (throw the OSMBug system) for more information, never
> got one. Now i just close the bug.

I fully agree with this. Consider that most of the bug reporting system, in
the free software world, requires a login or at least an email address. Even
when the discussion of new features take place in another place (like in the
KDE community), a login is required.

Moreover, I would argue that accountability is a reason enough to allow only
registered users, or at least some data (email) as someone suggested.  This is
to avoid problem later (someone said "imports"? Ok, it's a different case and
different amount of data, but ...)

A compromise solution (which most probably requires more code) could be:
- allow anonymous users to submit limited information, like a simple point and
an category for it, selected from a predefined set (with few *really generic*
elements like "please review", "incomplete", "dead end", "wrong
classification", whatever)
- allow registered users to set real, full descriptive, notes.

Regards
--
Luigi