[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Henk Hoff henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org
Mon Oct 1 08:38:12 UTC 2012

Hi Mikel et al,

I completely agree with you on the opportunities we have with the current
situation of the new Apple maps app. I hope we can get an agreement within
the board to seize this opportunity and take some clear actions (yes, I'm
also on the board, so you know my position).

About the zero understanding: There is a confidential communication channel
inside the Apple maps department. Although it's not a hotline yet. There is
a basic understanding on how OSM is used in the Apple maps, which
is basically "filling in the holes". I've shared some confidential
information with the board a couple of months ago on the position of Apple
regarding OSM.
There are some more talks needed to get deeper understanding of the
integration on a technical level and whether they are interested in looking
at OSM on a more broader level.
Yes, Apple is famously quiet about a lot of things. I hope we (the OSMF) is
able to build a relationship based on trust with Apple.

But that should not hold us back on going out to the media and promote OSM.

Cheers,
Henk Hoff

2012/10/1 Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>

> Hi
>
> Apple Maps fiasco has been the biggest story in the space these past
> weeks. Mostly this has looked bad for Apple, and good for Google.
> OpenStreetMap has been for the most part outside the narrative, even though
> OSM on iPhoto was a big story and big issue for the OSMF before. In the few
> cases a connection between iMaps and OSM has been, the misunderstanding
> that OSM has any responsibility for bad data has been quickly cleaned up.
> So on the whole, neutral coverage broadly.
>
> On the other hand, we still have zero real understanding of how and where
> OSM might be used in iMaps. We have some strong suspicions of where it
> might be used. We don't understand exactly how the data is being combined
> or not-combined with other sources. We don't have an effective,
> confidential communication channel inside Apple. Apple is famously quiet
> with outsiders, of course. No one from Apple is speaking at SOTM-US.
>
> Meanwhile, more people than ever before are getting obsessed with how
> their home is mapped. And they don't have any productive outlet.
> http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/
>
> OSM has had a real opportunity in this whole thing, to add a new voice to
> this conversation. Explain how we do things, and how powerful it is. Open
> channels to Apple to show what OSM could really do here. Win over new
> mappers. Make the map better, and more used.
>
> But we haven't been able to do anything. OSMF does not move pro-actively,
> in the media, with data users. We're essentially a reactive organization,
> and that is costing us a substantial opportunity right now.
>
> It's not too late. A strong public statement, explaining how OSM works,
> how we perceive iMaps, and a real open invitation to Apple is what I'd
> suggest. Start talking to journalists and prominent bloggers. Pushing the
> back channels into Apple again.
>
> Mikel

Board member
OpenStreetMap Foundation
+31 6 4808 8925
henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org

Name & Registered Office:
Openstreetmap Foundation
132 Maney Hill Road
Sutton Coldfield
B72 1JU
United Kingdom
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales.
Registration No. 05912761.