[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Mark Iliffe mark at markiliffe.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 09:38:50 UTC 2012

Hi All,

On 1 Oct 2012, at 10:15, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Frankly, I don't think we should be concerned.
>
> We have this open license so that anyone can use our data within the limits of the license. Other than that we don't mind. We don't run after our users and try to understand what exactly they are doing or not doing. If they want to engage in a dialogue with us then fine; if not then, not.

Frankly, I couldn't disagree more.

Discussion on the mailing lists recently has turned from how to introduce new OSMers into our project. Certain failings have been identified. I personally hope they'll be rectified soon. The same could be applied for new companies using OSM data. Potentially they should have a channel open to discuss OSM with us, be it apple or not.

It would all be too easy for an inquisitive journalist to start to look deeper - "Maybe Apple was good, the data is at fault...". We can't talk for the other data users, but we can speak for ourselves, not doing so just seems the wrong thing to do. In that we could also help prevent minor licence violations in future.

Just my two cents.

Mark