[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Oct 1 09:49:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 10/01/12 11:38, Mark Iliffe wrote:
> It would all be too easy for an inquisitive journalist to start to look
> deeper - "Maybe Apple was good, the data is at fault...". We can't talk
> for the other data users, but we can speak for ourselves, not doing so
> just seems the wrong thing to do. In that we could also help prevent
> minor licence violations in future.

I didn't want to write a posting that said we should remain silent about
anything. If it came across like that then it was a mistake.

I was arguing against any special or even proactive treatment of Apple
by ourselves. Mikel sounded as if he wanted to invest time in
investigative work: What does Apple do exactly, how could we perhaps
help them, they may not talk to us but if we try hard enough maybe we
can pry open some kind of channel to them.

Whereas my position is: We're here, we're listening, but if you don't
wanna talk then you don't have to. That's why I mentioned the license;
unlike with commercial geodata, where I'm pretty sure someone like Apple
will talk to those they buy data from before using it, Apple is within
their rights to take our data and not talk to us if they so please.

Bye
Frederik