[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Oct 1 10:18:30 UTC 2012

Am 01.10.2012 11:51, schrieb SteveCoast:
> My memory is that the data apple used is very old and under CC?

The data they used for IPhoto (or whatever it is called) was old, we
don't really know wrt the iOS6 maps. As Frederik has already pointed
out, there is no obligation for anybody to tell us how and where they
are using OSM data and I don't think there is much point in burning
hours trying to reverse engineer Apples map to find it out.

It is true that there has not being a lot of interest in the media in
talking directly to "OSM" as a result of the whole brouhaha
</englisch-deutsch/brouhaha.html>, but that may be due as it mainly
being perceived as a Apple vs. google fight. The OSM community  has
plugged OSM where possible which is probably more effective than us
grandstanding. I haven't seen a noticeable reaction in sign up numbers
and active users, but that may be due to the very noticeable uptick
we've had recently (http://osmstats.altogetherlost.com/).

Simon