[Osmf-talk] What is the OSMF?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Oct 1 11:42:04 UTC 2012

Am 01.10.2012 13:08, schrieb Mikel Maron:
> Thinking about this more broadly, there are clearly two main positions
> about the role of OSMF, the laissez-faire and the proactive. There's
> definitely a more sensible reality in between, but the discussion of
> anything in particular polarizes the outlooks.
>
> I'd really like to know what we really think. But we have no way of
> understanding our own views on this systematically. No way to survey
> membership, or an agreed strategy. It would be great to have these
> processes.

I don't see any reason why we can't poll the OSMF membership and/or have
the membership participate in a strategy discussion. But see below...

> But perhaps we should just accept the OSMF is what it is. Minimal
> organization to legally and technically hold OSM resources.
>
> And start another organization, with a real mandate to promote OSM.
> Maybe one among businesses, another governments. Just a thought.

There is no reason that the OSMF cannot promote OSM, its mandate is just
as good or as weak as any other organisation would have. I have argued
that we should actually split the membership part of the OSMF off in to
a separate organisation to make it easier to attract a larger number of
members which in turn would improve its legitimacy , but that is a
different topic.

In OSM there is no hope for all the kind of things that you would expect
in a commercial context, road maps, strategies, product releases,
strategic partnerships, m&a and so on.  The resistance against
pro-active marketing of OSM are fears that it essentially boils down to
trying to tell the unstructured blob that is OSM what to do and produce
all the above, instead of marketing OSM as it really is.

Simon