[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Julio Costa Zambelli julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl
Mon Oct 1 15:38:45 UTC 2012

Frederik,

Same situation here in Chile. The CEO of the biggest local commercial
maps company (and local Google Maps/Earth partner) blamed OSM for the
iOS6 Maps problems in a radio interview (http://goo.gl/zkBZE) and a
couple of columns in the media (http://goo.gl/20ORm and
http://goo.gl/gFwjG).

In a twitter discussion in between the radio interview and the columns
I told him that he was lying and gave him the evidence of what I was
saying (essentialy that all the iOS6 Maps problems that he mentioned
here in Chile do not exist in OSM and that Apple is not using OSM
anywhere in the country).

I finally wrote an Op-Ed column in the local OSM blog
(http://goo.gl/zl5Tl) explaying the whole situation and the scam that
he is trying to pull out. Tweeted the link to all the people involved
(the CEO, the journalists, the media editors and owners, etc.). Our
media is not the most autocritical or honest one so I do not have many
hopes that they will give us the right of reply.

Regards,

Julio Costa Zambelli
OpenStreetMap Chile

julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl

http://www.openstreetmap.cl/
Cel: +56(9)89981083
Postal: Casilla 9002, Correo 3, Viña del Mar, Chile