[Osmf-talk] a receding opportunity

Mon Oct 1 09:44:39 UTC 2012

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Yes. The fact that Apple lists OSM but not the license (both the old and
> new license require that any user of the data points out which license
> it is under)

Slight clarification. Given that we can safely assume that Apple Maps
are a Produced Work, ODbL actually says:

"if you Publicly Use a Produced Work, You must include a notice
associated with the Produced Work reasonably calculated to make any
Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise
exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the
Database, Derivative Database, or the Database as part of a Collective
Database, and that it is available under this License"

Our current practice is that, to achieve "a notice... reasonably
calculated to make any Person... aware", we request a link to
www.openstreetmap.org/copyright . This does a better job of explaining
the basics of the licence than a bald link to the licence text would do.

cheers
Richard